Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cutting the Coupon Clutter

So, you've started out on your couponing adventure.  You've been working the sales, buying your newspapers, getting all kinds of good deals... now, what do you do with all of those other coupons you haven't used yet? You can't leave them scattered on the kitchen table (I mean, you COULD just eat right on top of them, but who wants to risk a spill and ruin those good coupons? Or.... not.) 

There are two main methods for organizing.  First, I would like to share with you my personal preference, for the time being.  

The Filing System

I spent an hour or so yesterday gathering up all of the coupon insert strays that had been placed on shelves, in my desk, on top of the microwave, on the piano... ya, it's been coupon chaos around here.  I needed to feel like I am in control of my house again, and after furiously finding deals for everyone for the last few weeks, my home has been seriously suffering.  So, everything got put back where it belongs, but there was no place for the coupons.  So, while cleaning out my hall closet to make room for new shelves, I found a small pink crate that I had purchased specifically for my coupon storage a long time ago, and figured I would finally get around to making use of it! 

My crate holds hanging files, and I tabbed each file, but didn't write on the actual labels.  Instead, I used a dry erase marker to write the flier dates on the outside of the plastic tab.  This way, I can erase them and reuse them when all of the coupons in those inserts have expired and I no longer need them.  Now, I have a simple organization for all of my coupons, so when I search on the coupon database (here), and it tells me that there is a coupon in a specific insert that came out on a specific date, I can go right to that file, pull it out, and find the flier the coupon is located in.  This is going to make my life easier because now, as soon as I get my inserts, they will be sorted into like inserts, then filed into these folders. 

This crate was about $5 at Walmart during a back to school sale a couple of years back, and the hanging files I think were about $10, but I bought a large box of them, and they may have smaller boxes at bigger stores with more stock.  It's an investment for sure, but will make your life much easier!

The Binder

Another method of organizing, which I have used in the past but have a hard time keeping up on, is a coupon binder.  A lot of people like to use this method because it allows you to keep all of your coupons with you when you shop, so you never miss an opportunity to get a great deal.  Many stores have clearance sections that you can find amazing things for already cheap prices, and a coupon can often make these items free or pretty close to it. 

A binder is a relatively easy concept.  Just clip ALL of your coupons (whether you think you would use them or not), and organize them into a simple 3 ring binder.  I used baseball card holders, and tucked all of my like coupons into each slot. The clear plastic sheets have about 9 pockets per side (3x3) and allow you to see what coupons are in each slot.  If you organize your coupons into categories, you can easily flip to that category to find out if you have a coupon for an item that is on sale or clearance, and could walk out of the store with an unexpected freebie.  I found this was slightly high maintenance, but I definitely did find some amazing deals using my binder, and may consider going back to this method again, once I get better at this again.

Another bonus to having a coupon binder is that you can be well prepared for any coupon trip.  All coupons are stored right in the same place.  Many binders have storage in the front for things like pens and a calculator, which are vital tools when shopping and figuring on the fly.  You can also keep a notebook with your shopping lists hooked right into the binder so there are no surprises when you get to the store (I have misplaced my shopping lists many times and it can cause a major meltdown!) You can also keep extra envelopes tucked inside so when you find a good deal, the coupons you will use can be taken out and held in  a safe place until you get to the checkout.

Whichever method you choose will definitely make life a lot easier for you.  I know that chopped up bits of paper all over your house can be discouraging and lead to frustration.  I don't want anyone giving up because they just can't take the clutter! Keep everything organized and it will make it so much easier for you to plan your trips and reap the rewards!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment