Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Creamy One-Pot Pasta

I wanted to post this recipe that I found in a Pampered Chef booklet. I have modified it here from the original (which included sun dried tomatoes in oil, which are about 5.49 a jar) to make it less expensive, and my family likes it a lot better this way!

Creamy One Pot Pasta

1 lb Penne pasta (.97 Store brand)
1 tsp minced garlic (1.49 Store brand minced garlic, small jar, so a fraction of that for 1 tsp)
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, cubed (1.79 store brand)
3 cans Chicken Broth (.74 cents each, College Inn brand, so 2.22 total)
1 16 oz pkg frozen crinkle cut carrots, or 2 cups chopped fresh carrots (.99 for store brand frozen)
1 16 oz pkg frozen broccoli florets (1.79 store brand)

Heat Oil in large stockpot.  Add minced garlic and cook until golden brown.  Do not overcook.  Remove from heat and immediately add chicken broth.  Heat to boiling.  Add pasta and carrots.  Set timer for 5 less minutes than package directions.  After timer goes off, add broccoli.  DO NOT STIR IN.  Let Broccoli sit on top of the pasta and carrots (so it will steam, not boil).  Cook for remaining 5 minutes.  Stir in cream cheese until well incorporated.  Continue to simmer until sauce is creamy and broccoli is fork tender. 

This meal costs $9.25 the first time you make it (if you don't already have minced garlic on hand, $7.76 if you do).  If you wanted to, you could add grilled chicken on the side, or slice it up and mix it into the pasta.  Precooked chicken breast would add about $5 to your total, and depending on the kind of deal you find on fresh chicken, it could be cheaper because a little chicken goes a long way when you mix it in.  This also is AMAZING as leftovers.  I fed a family of 6 with this recipe, and we had enough for two lunches leftover. I've never tried freezing my leftovers (I still need to get some tips on how best to do this) but I'm sure this would keep in the freezer and still be delicious!

I hope you enjoy trying this recipe as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment